Sunday, March 23, 2014

NON-ATTACHMENT


Lewis, Haggle & The Boys on The Desert Rat's maiden voyage to Ibex
I awake from a dream, unsure of the time. It is still dark outside; cold, I am hesitant to relieve myself from the embrace of the blankets trapping the body heat from Messner, Haggle, and myself. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember that we are in IBEX, Utah, camped in a ‘new’ (1983) conversion van we purchased that we have dubbed ‘The Desert Rat’. The slight wind rocks the Rat back and forth in timed undulations. I feel drugged.

Ibex on an eery night
Drudging up the courage, I slip out the covers, let the dogs out, and step outside. Bathed in a sheet of stars I stand there, taking in the façade of an alien world comprised of other-worldly rock formations & spires. We are in the middle of nowhere, with no signs of human life.

We are alone this night. As I stand here, tranced & chilled, my dream begins to slither back into my psyche, making all that I’m taking in seem even more unreal. For a second I cannot be sure if I am awake or still asleep – in this moment, there seems to be no difference between the two.

Lewis leading an unknown route in Ibex
In the dream I am wearing a harness on which quick draws are clipped and dangling. I am in a sterile desert: a white, spotless stage that stretches beyond the capability of my vision. I remember being hot – sweating with desire. There is nothing to see. White space with a white horizon – it is bright so I shade my eyes and look forward and backward. Desperately, I want to climb. Climb anything and I say so in a muted fashion: I want to climb.

I finger the draws and they clatter in a deafening sing-song-sing, as, from somewhere, a stale, whispering wind answers: you are climbing…

…The report of Messner’s bark, one of our dogs, shocks me out of a daze. I call to him, hearing my voice reverberate off the massive cliff walls and return to me; it feels as if I just yelled during a church service and I immediately feel embarrassed and guilty, despite being the only one around. As quietly as I can, I slide the side door of the Rat open and the dogs jump in. I follow, closing the door. Slipping back into bed next to haggle, my head now against a pillow, I begin to doze off; I do not fall asleep, but fall somewhere between the obscure – that line between waking and sleeping…


…I look down and I am no longer wearing a harness. My clothes are changing - disappearing and reappearing every few seconds. A suit and tie now. A work shirt, no shirt, shorts, pants, sandals, shoes – they do not flicker on and off but rather, bleed in and out slowly. I have a beard now. And now, I am as smooth as an infant. My comprehension cannot keep up with the pace of change and I become wildly frantic. Wildly discombobulated and anxious. All my possessions come & go. & so it seems, with them, my passions and desires as well.

Ibex
I take a deep breath, calm myself down, and allow it to happen. In a second, I become a thousand different version of me yet they are all the same in one way or another.

In my slumbered stupor something occurs to me: everything we have in this world is on loan to us. We own nothing. Our loved ones, our possessions, our health, strengths, dreams, will eventually go away; it is all a fleeting cup of coffee. This does not mean I should not enjoy and/or cherish what I have. I should & I do. I live a fortunate life – one filled with great love and great passion. But with this comes a responsibility to learn to let go. To form a non-attachment to those things which I love.

Ewe Betch Ewe, 5.12a - Route follows the shallow crack/seam on the right
In that moment, I let go of the reason for this trip (at least the reason that has formed in my mind).
                 
Almost a year ago to the day, we had come to this exact spot, and I tried EWE BETCH EWE, 5.12a. I had failed miserably. A year later, stronger and more driven than ever, I was going to send the line.  As I lay here thinking about all this, I give up and into the idea that it doesn’t matter whether I send or not. We are here, in this beautiful dreamscape with the ones I love the most. It was time to have fun once and for all and to experience what come what may.

With the decision made, a heaviness lifted off my breast, and I slid into a dreamless sleep…because I AM climbing…




(Author’s note & Description):

Lewis nearing the chains for his successful send of Ewe Betch Ewe 5.12a
EWE BETCH you, more than any other route I have been on, has 3 or 4 boulder problems in a row separated by an immensely secure no-hands rest. If begun from the direct start, it certainly has one 12a move to a short section of juggy 5.9, where if you don’t feel secure you can place a #2 cam between the 1st and 2nd bolt, but it is hardly necessary. From there you move through a boulder problem of v2/3 involving a  core-tightening Gaston, get a quick shake and enter another strengthy insecure v3 move to gain a slopey top out involving a mantel to where you find yourself run out, gunning for the no hands rest. It is here that I attempted to compose myself, trying to control my breathing for 3 or 4 minutes. I wanted to send. No way in hell I was going to do the bottom section again, it was either this, or I pack up and go home. Send send send, was all that I was thinking as I craned my neck to see the last section of the route, and from my memory, realized it was probably the hardest section on the entire line. Ready, calmed, breathing steadily, yet still thinking of the send, I launched into it: a undercling match, a cross over with the left to a sharp little edge and right hand up to what appeared to be a good side pull. It wasn’t. Panic set it. I tried to pull off the side pull, but could feel myself slipping. ‘Fuck!’ I desperately grunted. I was slipping. In my mind, I had already come off, now I was just waiting for time to catch up to the inevitable. But, I managed to reverse my movements, my feet getting placed exactly in the order in which they had come up, but this time, down. I re-reached the good rest ledge.

My breathing was frantic like a horse’s. My skin was hot and sticky with sweat, my feet ached. ‘Dammit!’ I said under my breath. I could vaguely hear my brother, who was belaying, saying something like, ‘calm down, you got this. You can do it.’ But I had just done the moves. No, I couldn’t do it. Shit, just take and lower, let someone else climb. It sounded like a good idea, and I was about to succumb to the desire. Then the previous night’s cognition dawned on me. Let it go. Who cares? If I was going to fail, well, hell, why not fail having fun? Do the moves for the moves’ sake. Fluid. Somewhere along the line, I gave up on the send, Forgot about the desire to finish the climb; I just wanted to climb, and that was what I was doing. With a clear mind bereft of insight of success, I launched back into the final crux: undercling match, cross over left to sharp, small edge, right hand up to terrible side-pull, and this time, scare-the-pants-off-you high feet, off and to the right. I was slipping, but still feeling strong. Sure I was going to peel off, I resigned myself to the fall, so went for it anyway. What I went to was nothing. I slapped left then right then middle, still nothing except slopey mind-fuck-you goodness. With no other options, I shifted my weight down low, and made a series of traverse movements out left……. I was clipping the chains. Smiling. Clipping the chains… with the newly formed non-attachment to the climb, I ended up sending it on my first attempt… Somehow, in some way, those routes you send that you have learned to let go of come in a sweet euphoric dream. They are the best sends of all: The least expected ones.)

No comments:

Post a Comment